[Rd] Help on interfacing C++ with R

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Mar 13 21:01:16 CET 2006

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 Sun.Bing at epamail.epa.gov wrote:

> Hi, I am trying to set up a C++ library for my R code. I followed the
> R-extension manual but found out that the example of "X.cpp, X_main.cpp"
> is somewhat too simple. Here is my code:

Simpler is easier, all this std stuff gets in the way. The problem is that
R is passing pointers (probably) to doubles, not simple integers. As far
as I can see, you need to change the

.C("testIntDivision", 4, 2);

to make sure your numbers are integers (as.integer()) is OK), and the
function itself (provided that it is visible, and I've no idea if this is
the case, to pointer arguments:

int testIntDivision(int&, int&); // untried

then pick out the integer values at those addresses. It'll be one or both
of these problems (I am not fluent in C++, but the same principles apply
to C).

I would be concerned about exporting any competing main to load
dynamically into R too, could you compile the code in two files, one the
code to load into R, the other with main calling your code, and *only*
load what needs to be inside R?