[Rd] Wishlist - Give R a name that shows up in search engines...

Tim Brown brown at biology.utah.edu
Mon Mar 6 22:09:44 CET 2006

Hi everyone,

I know this is a long shot but I just wanted to throw it out
there.  I have lately been using R a lot and have found that it is
basically impossible to find any code help or answers via google
searching because the name "R" is simply not explicit enough. For
every other popular program or programming language a simple search
with the name of the program and your problem brings up something
pretty close to the answer, its usually just a matter of phrasing it
so the results you are looking come up in your search (e.g. "find
length of array, Matlab").  Try a similar web search for R and you
will learn nothing -- Why? because the letter "R" is on almost every
web page on the planet.

I'm not just whining here, I think this is a really serious problem.
On the web, "findability" is perhaps the single most important
feature of any product or program. The unique beauty of the Web
anyone who solves any problem can post the answer almost anywhere
want, a search engines will index it and serve it up to someone
looking for a solution to that problem. Of course it doesn't quite
work like that but its pretty close if you trying to find out how to
program something in most languages and programs. You can't do this
in R because its name is not unique enough, and that seriously
hampers the ability of both new and expert users to accomplish things
quickly.  I realize that there is the R-project website and so on,
but the decentralized nature of the web assures that not not everyone
will post their answers there and people such as me who search google
first rather than going straight to a single site will have a hard
time finding answers.

So seriously, has there ever been any discussion about renaming R so
that people's hard work on making this kick-butt program can be
shared and searched with the same facility that other programs enjoy.
It could be something as simple as "R plus" ;) just anything that
makes it unique enough that R program pages aren't indexed with 100
billion pages that happen to have a single R on them for some reason.

Cheers,

Tim