[Rd] advice on arguments

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 17:05:04 CEST 2006

Here is an approach.  fn.dots takes a character string, fn.name, such as
a function name and a named list, dots.  If fn.name is "f", say, then
it returns all components of dots whose name is of the form f.somestring
removing the f. prefix as well as components containing unprefixed
strings. It would typically be used like this:

f.dots <- fn.dots("f", dots)
do.call("f", f.dots)

and the user can specify that x be passed to all functions by
naming it x, to just f by naming it f.x.  If both x and f.x appears
then f.x takes precedence in a call to f.

fn.dots <- function(fn.name, dots) {
	pat <- paste("^", fn.name, "[.]", sep = "")
	nm <- names(dots)
	fn.nm <- grep(pat, nm, value = TRUE)
	dots[sub(pat, "", fn.nm)] <- dots[fn.nm]
	dots[grep("^[^.]*[.]", nm, value = TRUE)] <- NULL
	dots
}

dots <- list(a = 33, f.a = 55, g.a = 44, b = 56, g.c = 99)
fn.dots("f", dots) # list(a = 55, b = 56)
fn.dots("g", dots) # list(a = 44, b = 56, c = 99)
fn.dots("h", dots) # list(a = 33, b = 56)