[Rd] advice on arguments

Ben Bolker bolker at zoo.ufl.edu
Thu Jun 29 18:53:16 CEST 2006

    I have a general style question about R coding.

   Suppose I'm writing a function (foo1) that calls other functions
(foo2, foo3, ...) which have complicated argument
lists (e.g. optim(), plot()), _and_
I may be calling several different functions in the body of
foo1.  Since foo2 and foo3 have different sets of arguments, I
can't just use "..." ; I did write some code a while ago that
would look at formals() to dissect out arguments that should
be passed to the different functions, but it seemed overly
complex.

  The particular case I have now is a little simpler.

  foo2 (points3d) and foo3 (spheres3d)
are both functions from the rgl package
that pass arguments such as color, alpha, etc. along to
an rgl.material() command with lots of possible arguments.
(The function may also call segments3d or lines3d, but
these all have the same arguments as points3d.)
However, to change the size of points you use "size"; to
change the size of spheres you use "radius".  Do I
(1) add "radius" to the argument list, cluttering up
the argument list for one particular special case?
(2) add "size" to the argument list, so that it doesn't
become part of "..." and I can say spheres3d(radius=size,...) ?
(3) do something like
    dotlist = list(...)
    if (type=="s" && !is.null(dotlist$size)) radius <- dotlist$size
and pull "size" out of ... myself (and make a note to that
effect in  the documentation)?
  (I guess another general solution to this is to ask for
lists of arguments, like MoreArgs in mapply(). Another
would be to go back and change spheres3d to make size
a synonym for radius ... )

  any thoughts?
    Ben Bolker

620B Bartram Hall                            bolker at zoo.ufl.edu
Zoology Department, University of Florida    http://www.zoo.ufl.edu/bolker
Box 118525                                   (ph)  352-392-5697
Gainesville, FL 32611-8525                   (fax) 352-392-3704