[Rd] An offer: R packages in Gentoo Land?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Jun 29 15:37:55 CEST 2006

On 28 June 2006 at 16:44, Allen S. Rout wrote:

| Greetings.  I love R, we run Gentoo.  I want to maintain R packages in
| the same methods I use for the rest of them; in Gentoo this is in "the
| portage tree", or in "a portage overlay".
|
| I am working towards something I consider suitable for production
| release, and wanted to ask if there are conventional blessings which I
| ought to ask of the R-devel folks; How does this usually go, in
| R-land?

With my Debian maintainer hat on, and noting that I in no way speak for R
Core:  it's really up to you. Here are a few things I do for Debian:

-- supporting all configure options so that R reports all capabilities()
-- passing 'make check' obviously helps
-- having documentation in different format out of the box is nice
-- supporting Atlas out of the box is nice (Debian has had that for years),
-- having Sweave work out of the box is nice too,
-- an additional r-mathlib packages was once requested,
-- a few other goodies (bash completion, paperconf, conf files in /etc/R,
   R LIBS supporting different directories)

More suggestions are of course welcome.

| Separately, what is the maturity model you apply to CRAN submissions?
| Is there any sort of new/unstable/stable/deprecated sort of cycle
| already conventional?  This might be a Fine Manual question, but the
| Writing R Extensions doc doesn't mention it.

Your package ought to survive 'R CMD check'.

Hth, Dirk

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison