[Rd] UTF-8 and .Rd files

Paul Gilbert pgilbert at bank-banque-canada.ca
Wed Jun 28 22:39:38 CEST 2006

I've been following this thread hoping for the definitive answer...

Peter Dalgaard wrote:
> Well, I do tend to think that we should just use utf, assuming that
> people have the relevant glyphs. If they don't, then they might get
> little hollow rectangles but so what?

My problem is that I put an ö in a reference in an Rd file, and now my
builds fail on some of my systems. I can switch which systems work and
which are broken, but I can not get it to work on all systems. I have
spent way too much time trying to figure out what is wrong. So, wrt "so
what", I need to choose between checking my packages on all the
different systems I use, or having an ö in the Rd file. I think my
problem is more complicated than having the relevant glyphs. I suspect
it has to do with having the same locale on all systems doing NFS
mounts, or on my cvs server, or something strange like that.

Paul

La version française suit le texte anglais.