[Rd] UTF-8 and .Rd files

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jun 27 12:11:38 CEST 2006

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006, Göran Broström wrote:

> I have been converting to utf8 from latin1, and this gives me
> problems, some solved, but here is one unsolved: In my .Rd files, I
> have included '\encoding{UTF-8}' at the top. Despite this, the HTML
> help pages contains 'content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"', and my
> name is mangled. What can I do about this?

Reproducible example, please!  (I've just tried this and it works for me.)

As described in my talk at UseR 2006, you may well not want to do this if
you intend to distribute the package.  Your name contains characters that
are not in the fonts used in UTF-8 in non-European locales, and Windows
users do no have ready access to UTF-8 viewers (even if they know the
files are UTF-8).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk