[Rd] [R] assign / environment side effect on R 2.4.0

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 13:24:44 CEST 2006

I have moved this discussion to r-devel.

The example of the poster suggests that the functionality as implemented
so far in the upcoming 2.4.0 is at this point not correct and needs to
be fixed prior to release.

It violates the idea in R that if one modifies a list in a function then a copy
of that list gets created (at least conceptually) for use within a function
(rather than the original list being modified) and effectively turns what would
have been a local variable into an error-prone global variable.