[Rd] Bug in R-intro.html ? (PR#9028)

maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat Jun 24 17:31:36 CEST 2006

    hueppop> Full_Name: Ommo Hüppop Version: 2.0.1 OS: XP
    hueppop> Submission from: (NULL) (84.143.196.187)

    hueppop> Hi,

    hueppop> Presumably, I've found an error in
    hueppop> http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/doc/manual/R-intro.html

    hueppop> In Chapter 11.3 Generic functions for extracting
    hueppop> model information it says "Select a suitable model
    hueppop> by adding or dropping terms and preserving
    hueppop> hierarchies.  The model with the LARGEST value of
    hueppop> AIC (Akaike's An Information Criterion) discovered
    hueppop> in the stepwise search is returned." Shouldn't it
    hueppop> read "with the SMALLEST value ..."?

yes indeed.  Astonishing how long something like this remains
unnoticed or at lt least unnoticed by the good guys who
contribute back to the project by concise bug reports.

Thank you.

    hueppop> Sorry, if I only misunderstood the meaning of
    hueppop> "returned"!

:-)

    hueppop> By the way: Thank you very much indeed for
    hueppop> developing this great free software!

    hueppop> Sincerely Ommo Hüppop