[Rd] Wish/suggestion: add output of citation() to package "manuals" (PR#9009)

gregor.gorjanc at bfro.uni-lj.si gregor.gorjanc at bfro.uni-lj.si
Tue Jun 20 12:22:42 CEST 2006

Dear R core,

influenced by recent panel discussion in Vienna I think that it would be
nice to add package specific output of citation() function to package
reference manuals. I think that apropriate place would be just after
fields from DESCRIPTION file. This will be OK for CRAN, but not for
locally installed packages as there is not reference manual there (at
least on my linux box) - why is this the case? Perhaps output of
citation() could be added to package specific help page i.e. to
mypackage.package.Rd file.

The same could be done with R's manuals. I know that there is an entry
in FAQ on this and that there is a note after launching R, but questions
about apropriate reference on R-help list are quite frequent. Perhaps
this is so due to the habit that one looks into the paper/book/manual
about relevant information for reference.

--
Lep pozdrav / With regards,
    Gregor Gorjanc

University of Ljubljana     PhD student
Biotechnical Faculty
Zootechnical Department     URI: http://www.bfro.uni-lj.si/MR/ggorjan
Groblje 3                   mail: gregor.gorjanc <at> bfro.uni-lj.si

SI-1230 Domzale             tel: +386 (0)1 72 17 861
Slovenia, Europe            fax: +386 (0)1 72 17 888