[Rd] Fwd: [R-SIG-Mac] Window titles

Paul Roebuck roebuck at mdanderson.org
Mon Jun 19 21:48:30 CEST 2006

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> On Jun 17, 2006, at 8:02 AM, Paul Roebuck wrote:
>
> > Is there a means to provide a title for a Quartz window?
>
> Yes, now introduced in 3244: you can specify the desired name in the
> call to quartz, e.g.
>     quartz("My Precious Plot")
> We have never used the device name, so now we have at least some use
> for it ;). Thanks for the request. Apparently the description for the
> `quartz' command is bogus as well, it is copied from the X11 device
> and the device parameter makes no sense at all. I'll think about some
> more reasonable parameters/description for R-devel.
>
> > When running code that creates lots of plots, it would be nice to
> > be able to choose the desired window based on its title rather than
> > attempting to remember the associated window number. Even better if
> > the Window menu could display this information as well.
>
> Yes, the window title and the windows menu are directly linked.

Think there's any chance of getting a 'title' argument
being added to all the interactive devices, even if just
as a placeholder (not implemented on this device)? All
windowing environments provide the means to handle this
capability. Haven't tried it but title should be able to
be done with X11 already (indirectly) via XWindow resources.

I am unaware of a documented list of arguments available
for use by any interactive device. Since the code I write
passes its arguments to the default interactive device, it
would be preferable to avoid "unused argument" errors when
run with alternative devices.