[Rd] R-2.3.1 does not install on FreeBSD 4.11-RELEASE (PR#8971)

Kenji Rikitake kenji.rikitake at acm.org
Tue Jun 13 08:18:52 CEST 2006

Prof. Ripley:

In the message <Pine.LNX.4.64.0606130640470.23931 at gannet.stats.ox.ac.uk>
dated Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 06:53:20AM +0100,
Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:
> The first point is already changed in R-patched: please try it and
> confirm. [...]

I'm compiling the kit R-patched_2006-06-12.tar.gz right now.  The buggy
code is surely removed and it's keep on building well.

> What architecture and compiler is this (and is FreeBSD 4.11-RELEASE not
> rather old)?  va_copy is a C99 feature, and was introduced as __va_copy
> well before 1999.  (__va_copy was in gcc 2.95.3 for example, and 2.3.1
> builds on platforms with __va_copy and not va_copy.)

gcc 2.95.4 on FreeBSD 4.11-RELEASE-p18; note that stdarg(3) says

STANDARDS
     The va_start(), va_arg(), and va_end() macros conform to ISO/IEC
     9899:1990 (``ISO C90'').

And va_copy() does not exist.  I think this is a common FreeBSD-related
problem, fixed in a later release, on 5.x or 6.x.

> Your second point seems to be covered by the instructions to set umask
> appropriately: people who have are not having to change permissions after
> installation.

I set umask to 0022 manually and did "make install" from tcsh, but
didn't get the permission flags straighten out.  I'll check this out
again, though I think I need to investigate a bit.

> >./configure --disable-mbcs

> Why do you claim that is `default in FreeBSD 4.x'?

All I know is that in FreeBSD ports math/R and on 4.x, --disable-mbcs
had been required to get around with the broken MBCS library handling of
FreeBSD.  So I followed the convention.

Many thanks for your help.

// Kenji Rikitake