[Rd] further f77/gfortran

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Jun 7 19:22:43 CEST 2006

On 7 June 2006 at 17:29, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
| > That came up recently:
| >
| > a)  ~/.Makevars  (as I recall)
|
| ~/.R/Makevars, but that applies to all packages on all builds.

Yes indeed. Thanks for catching and correcting this.

| > b)  on a per invocation basis:
| > 	MAKEFLAGS="FFLAGS=-O1" R CMD INSTALL ...
| >    is something that worked for me.
|
| Yes, but it only works in some Makes, including GNU Make.
|
| > That said, I personally still dislike that I cannot 'undo' the settings the
| > R's global Makeconf.  I'd love to turn debugging, optimisation, ... on/off on
| > demand.
|
| It might make sense to separate CFLAGS, FFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, FCFLAGS out of
| etc/Makeconf into a Makefile included before Makevars.  But I am very
| reluctant to make it easy to change the F77 compiler or FLIBS or
| FPICFLAGS.

Well, as that would cover my past needs (where on certain architectures we
had switch from -O2 to a lower optimisation setting or g77 would die;
obviously a g77 bug and now mostly (?) fixed) so I'd say yes.

Not hugely pressing as the current system has worked, but I would at certain
points in the past have like to have this available.

Dirk

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison