[Rd] % symbol in .Rd files?

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Jul 27 11:12:33 CEST 2006

    Dominick> Hello, I am encountering problems when there is a
    Dominick> '%' character in package .Rd files. More
    Dominick> precisely, CRAN is having problems with these
    Dominick> characters when running check, whereas I am not
    Dominick> seeing any problems under Linux and Windows.  I
    Dominick> did see these problems, and found that escaping
    Dominick> the %'s fixes the problem in my testing, but
    Dominick> apparently this does not fix the problem when
    Dominick> check is run at CRAN.

    Dominick> I suspect that there are some compatibility
    Dominick> problems between shells, TeX, or perl versions, or
    Dominick> perhaps the check on CRAN goes through more levels
    Dominick> of preprocessing?

    Dominick> I can probably fix this problem by removing all
    Dominick> '%' chars from my .Rd files, but this doesn't seem
    Dominick> like a very natural solution.

definitely not.  Other packages have them as well,
without giving any CRAN hickups

No, you should find and fix the problem.

    Dominick> Any ideas?

We need examples which -- at least for you -- produce the
problem.  You could post a small tar file (mime-types 'application/x-tar'
or 'application/x-compressed-tar' are accepted for R-devel) if
you want.

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich