[Rd] pari/gp interface

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jul 26 07:15:01 CEST 2006

The issue is that system() on Windows does not run a shell, so piping is
not going to be available: used shell() instead.   Then the problem is
that the shell available is OS-specific, and pretty minimal on Windows
95/98/ME.  If you can ignore those (and they are getting rarer), cmd.exe
can be assumed for use of shell().

echo is not a standard system command on Windows either, and in a shell
does not do what it does on Unix.

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006, Henrik Bengtsson wrote:

> On 7/25/06, Robin Hankin <r.hankin at noc.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm developing an R package that
> > needs to execute some code written in pari/gp.
> >
> > I've used this before from an R package (elliptic) but the interface
> > is very
> > basic: the R function creates a string such as the following:
> >
> > string <- echo ' ellwp ([ 2+0*I , 0+2*I ], 1+0*I )' | gp -q
> >
> > And then
> >
> > system(string)
> >
> > returns the output from gp which then needs to be text processed
> > (translating "I"
> > to "i", etc).
> >
> > I don't think this approach would work under Windows.
>
> I know nothing about pari/gp, but I believe it does work on Windows
> too.  There is system() command available on the Windows version too,
> but with slightly different arguments (than on Linux say).
>
> Piping is available on Windows too, e.g. "dir | sort", although you
> should be able to get around that by writing to file instead and using

Did you try that?  dir is not an executable under Windows (a shell
command), and it does not work even if you use an executable.  You do need
to use shell()