[Rd] multiplying multidimensional arrays (was: Re: [R] Manipulation involving arrays)

RAVI VARADHAN rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Mon Jul 17 15:18:45 CEST 2006

Dear Gabor,

Thank you very much for your solution.  It speeded calculations by a factor of two.

Now to your recommendation about making this solution a basic operation.  I completely agree with your suggestion. That is exactly what I would have hoped for.  In fact, my first try was to do:

Tbar <- tarray %*% t(wt)

Since tarray is (3,3,mcsamp) and wt is (n,mcsamp), I figured that the result would be a (3,3,n) array that would sum over mcsamp, as in the case of 2-dim array multiplication.  But obviously that didn't work as "non-conformable".  Your simple trick of forcing the 3-dim array to a 2-dim matrix using matrix(tarray, 3*3) is quite clever.

Thanks again for your help.

Best,
Ravi.