[Rd] string-length limitations

jake wilson jake_f_wilson at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 12 15:56:23 CEST 2006

Hi,

I'm attempting to "glm" a formula - something that's not caused problems in
the past.  I've used formulas of the form

    formula( "dependant-variable~independant-variables" )

where the independant variable string is of the form:

    "indvar1+indvar2+...+indvarN"

Now, however, our independant variable strings are quite long (hundreds of
variables) - R dies with an "input buffer overflow" error.  I've tried
writing out the code to files and sourcing them, as well as building the
strings incrementally in R, but these have not worked either.  I have come
to believe there is a maximum length for char strings - some sort of
fundamental limitation.  Is there such a max-length and, if so, is there a
way I can work with long strings of the sort referenced above?

Thank you,
J. Wilson