[Rd] Shared Library Support for AIX?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jul 12 09:43:03 CEST 2006

We are waiting for the community of users of R on AIX to put in the
resources needed to make this happen.

We receive little help from AIX users of R (with the shining exception of
Ei-ji Nakama), for example I cannot recall a single alpha/beta test report
on that platform, and I would hope to recall several a year.  So it is
mainly due to inspired guesswork that R compiles on AIX.

Given that apparently we are able to build libRlapack as a shared library
on AIX, the same recipe should work for libR.  (As far as I recall the
difficulty is getting a suitable export file from the motly collection of
objects that make up this shared library.)  But this really needs someone
with detailed knowledge of AIX linkers to tackle it, as quite possibly
there is a better approach.