[Rd] Installation, permissions of /usr/local/lib/R (PR#9054)

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Sun Jul 2 11:13:37 CEST 2006

Thibaut Jombart <jombart at biomserv.univ-lyon1.fr> writes:

> jori.mantysalo at uta.fi wrote:
>
> >I said
> >./configure --with-readline=no --with-x=no
> >make
> >make install
> >
> >and everything works except that /usr/local/lib/R/etc/ldpaths was not readable
> >as normal user.

> You don't say if you installed R as root or as a normal user.
> Did you try:
> chown your-user-name /usr/local/lib/R/ -R
> ?
>
> Or, if you intend to make R available to several users, create a R users
> group and then type the previous command replacing "your-user-name" by
> "R-users-group-name". Maybe this would help.

More likely, the umask setting was too restrictive during make
install. AFAIR, "umask 022" (i.e. no write permission for anyone
except user, but read and execute allowed) is needed to enable
non-root users to run R. Some systems set it differently, and we're
not overriding that since it could be a policy issue. It's not a bug.