[Rd] [R] Integer bit size and the modulus operator (PR#8541)

ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jan 30 20:26:47 CET 2006

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 murdoch at stats.uwo.ca wrote:

> On 1/30/2006 1:39 PM, Ionut Florescu wrote:
>> Thank you for the quick reply, I will look into the R packages.
>> For crashing R try this:
>>
>> generator.zp=function(x,p)
>> {a=1:(p-1); b=x^a%%p;
>> if(all(b[1:(p-2)]!=1)&&(b[p-1]==1)){return(x, " Good ")}
>> else{return(x, " No Good, try another integer ")}
>> }
>
> Thanks, I can reproduce the crash using
>
> for (x in 10:100) generator.zp(x, 41)
>
> I'll see if I can track down what's going wrong.  By the way, you're not
> supposed to use two arguments to return():  that's not supposed to be
> allowed any more.  I'm somewhat surprised you don't get an error from
> it.  But that's not the cause of the crash.

You do get a warning, though.  It *is* allowed, see ?return.

One error is the following in real_binary:

     if (n1 > n2)
 	copyMostAttrib(s1, ans);
     else if (n1 == n2) {
 	copyMostAttrib(s2, ans);
 	copyMostAttrib(s1, ans);
     }
     else
 	copyMostAttrib(s2, ans);

Here ans is not PROTECTED.

The second is in the warning, which causes allocation when ans is not
protected.

Fixed in R-devel and 2.2.1 patched.