[Rd] References to contributed packages (was Re: Mosaicplot coloring)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jan 30 15:02:08 CET 2006

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006, Liaw, Andy wrote:

> Perhaps you do not understand why the documentations in base R do/can not
> refer to contributed packages (as Achim stated).  There are several, but the
> more obvious one is that contributed packages are not guanranteed to be
> there:  Each package is required to have a maintainer, who is responsible
> for making necessary updates to keep the package up-to-date with R versions.
> A package not actively maintained is subject to removal from CRAN.  Can you
> reasonably expect base R to cite contributed packages in such a setup?

As a general principle this is indeed so, but we do have some exceptions
(look in the R Data Import/Export Manual for several), especially to the
recommended packages.  Where there is enhanced methodology in a package
and as a result there are no plans to enhance the main R version and the
package is stable and has maintainers with a track record of being
responsive, we do consider adding a cross-reference (and indeed a
cross-ref from mosaicplot to vcd has been floated before).  And possibly
under other circumstances too ....

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk