[Rd] [R] help with read.table() function

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jan 29 19:29:30 CET 2006

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006, Marc Schwartz wrote:

> I would argue against this.
>
> If this were the default, that is requiring user interaction, it would
> break a fair amount of code that I (and I am sure a lot of others have)
> where automation is critical.

I don't see how.  The current default is

> read.table()
Error in read.table() : argument "file" is missing, with no default

so the only change is that the default might do something useful.

Nor do I see the change would help, as the same people would still use a
character string for 'file' and not omit the argument.  (It seems very
unlikely that they would read any documentation that suggested things had
changed.)

The same issue could be made over scan(), where the current default is
useful.

> A lot of the issues seem to be user errors, file permission errors,
> hidden extensions as is pointed out below and related issues. If there
> is a legitimate bug in R resulting in these issues, then let's patch
> that. However, I don't think that I can recall reproducible situations
> where a bug in R is the root cause of these problems.

Nor I.

Note that file.choose does not protect you against file permission issues
(actually, on a command-line Unix-alike it does nothing much useful at
all):

> readLines(file.choose())
Enter file name: errs.txt
Error in file(con, "r") : unable to open connection
In addition: Warning message:
cannot open file 'errs.txt', reason 'Permission denied'

but

> file.show(file.choose())
says

NO FILE errs.txt

which is not a good idea (and I will improve).

So this would really only have any effect on GUI platforms, for people who
read the documentation.