[Rd] read.table with ":" in column names (PR#8511)

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Jan 20 12:47:46 CET 2006

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 peverlorenvanthemaat at amc.uva.nl wrote:

> Full_Name: emiel ver loren
> Version: 2.2.0
> OS: Windows XP
> Submission from: (NULL) (145.117.31.248)
>

> Dear R-community and developers,
>
> I have been trying to read in a tab delimeted file where the column names and
> the row names are of the form "GO:0000051" (gene ontology IDs). When using:
>
> > gomat<-read.table("test.txt")
> > colnames(gomat)[1]
> [1] "GO.0000051"
> > rownames(gomat)[1]
> [1] "GO:0000002"
>
> Which means that ":" is transformed into a "." !! This seems like Excel when it
> is trying to guess what I am really ment (and turning 1/1/1 into 1-1-2001).

Wrong.

?read.table says with reference to the check.names = TRUE argument that:

"check.names: logical.  If 'TRUE' then the names of the variables in the
          data frame are checked to ensure that they are syntactically
          valid variable names.  If necessary they are adjusted (by
          'make.names') so that they are, and also to ensure that there
          are no duplicates."

> make.names("GO:0000051")
[1] "GO.0000051"

You can use "GO:0000051" as a column name if quoted, otherwise ":" is an
operator, so the default value of the check.names argument is sound.

If you "ment" to do what you say, you should have set check.names=FALSE.