[Rd] Section 7.1 HML documentation (PR#8484)

greg.kochanski@phon.ox.ac.uk greg.kochanski at phon.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jan 14 17:33:49 CET 2006

Full_Name: Greg Kochanski
Version: 2.2.0
OS: Debian Linux i686
Submission from: (NULL) (212.159.16.190)

In /usr/share/doc/r-doc-html/manual/R-data.html (at least that's where
it is on Debian...) the documentation is unclear.   Comments below.

The paragraph has unclear references, and I have no idea what
it actually means.

>> Base R comes with some facilities to communicate via BSD sockets on systems
that support them (...). One potential problem....
>> For new projects it is suggested that socket connections are used instead.

"Used instead"?   Instead of what?

>>The earlier low-level interface is given by functions make.socket,
read.socket, write.socket and close.socket.

What does "earlier" mean?   Earlier than what?