[Rd] R plot display problem under windows when using python rpy module.

Hin-Tak Leung hin-tak.leung at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jan 9 16:49:44 CET 2006

Hi,
(off topic slightly, and a slight flame-bait...).
I don't have an answer or clue to your question, but I have played with
PSPython briefly and it did work somewhat for me (and I have not heard
of rpy until reading this through r-devel), and I was wondering
what is the difference between rpy and RSPython. According to the rpy page:
=============
  This code is inspired by RSPython from the Omegahat project. The main
goals of RPy are:

     * to have a very robust interface for using R from Python
     * the interface should be as transparent and easy to use as possible
     * it should be usable for real scientific and statistical computations
=============

But "a very robust interface" is self-proclaimed and unsubstantiated;
"transparent", "easy to use", "usable for real scientific..." are
subjective, so what it amounts to is a case of "not-invented-here"
symptom (i.e. wheels...). This might be flame-bait... but since I
have used PSPython very very briefly and I don't think it suffers
from the above 3 (and even if it does, it is open-source, one can
always add/modify/patch without starting new), I do wonder...

So I have a question for you - why rpy instead of RSPython? Have you
tried both, and can you give a comparison of pros and cons?

In fact, the most obvious superficial difference I can see is that
RSPython is written by an R-biased person (it uses "R CMD build"), where
as rpy is written by a Python-biased person (it builds with
"python setup.py ...")... there is nothing wrong with having a bias,
but the goals listed imply that it might be "better" in those areas...
which may or may not be true.

(To answer one question you might have, I was trying to invoke Python
code from inside R and was doing it the opposite direction from you).

HTL