[Rd] Problem installing from source: no CONTENTS files

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jan 9 10:22:29 CET 2006

This will only happen if you installed R without HTML help and then
install a package *with* HTML help *and* do so into a non-standard
directory.  That seems an arcane thing to do: why do you want HTML help
for some packages and not others?  You will end up with a partially
functional system.

The fix is simple: put '-' at the beginning of that line (after the tab)
in MakePkg.  I've put a more complete solution in R-devel.

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 Mark.Bravington at csiro.au wrote:

> I've just had the error below while trying to install a package from
> source under R2.2.1 and Windows XP. I recall encountering this
> sporadically in the past. It is a pretty confusing message and took me
> quite some time to figure out; I've seen queries about it on the R site
> search, but couldn't find a reply.

I don't believe those are the same thing.

> There's an attempted diagnosis and
> suggested cure below.
>
> D:\r2.0\debug>rcmd INSTALL --library=d:/rpackages/r2.2.1 --docs=normal
> debug
>
> ---------- Making package debug ------------
> <<snipped>>
> installing indices
> cat: C:/R/RW2021/library/*/CONTENTS: No such file or directory
>
> What I think is happening is this. Because I installed R from binary
> *without* HTML help, no CONTENTS files are created for the packages.
> When running RCMD INSTALL, this causes an error in the MakePkg file (in
> src/gnuwin32 on my machine), in the "indices" section at the line
> starting @$(CAT) below. Commenting out the CAT line seems to work fine,
> in that installation proceeds OK, and regular non-HTML help and
> help.search are available for the package. The comment two lines up
> suggests that the behaviour is a bug; maybe a TRY-style wrapper could be
> used? If not, a different error message would be handy.

The error message is completely informative: why would you want to change
it?

> I don't understand enough about makefiles to suggest a patch,
> unfortunately.

A good learning project for you?