[Rd] prod(numeric(0)) surprise

Ben Bolker bolker at zoo.ufl.edu
Mon Jan 9 03:40:05 CET 2006

Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 1/8/2006 9:24 PM, Ben Bolker wrote:
>
>>    It surprised me that prod(numeric(0)) is 1.
>> I guess if you say (operation(nothing) == identity
>> element) this makes sense, but ??
>

> What value were you expecting, or were you expecting an error?  I can't
> think how any other value could be justified, and throwing an error
> would make a lot of formulas more complicated.
>

> That's a fairly standard mathematical convention, which is presumably
> why sum and prod work that way.
>
> Duncan Murdoch

   OK.  I guess I was expecting NaN/NA (as opposed to an error),
but I take the "this makes everything else more complicated" point.
Should this be documented or is it just too obvious ... ?
(Funny -- I'm willing to take gamma(1)==1 without any argument
or suggestion that it should be documented ...)

   cheers
     Ben

620B Bartram Hall                            bolker at zoo.ufl.edu
Zoology Department, University of Florida    http://www.zoo.ufl.edu/bolker
Box 118525                                   (ph)  352-392-5697
Gainesville, FL 32611-8525                   (fax) 352-392-3704