[Rd] R on Zaurus (was: Wish list)

Andrew Robinson A.Robinson at ms.unimelb.edu.au
Mon Jan 2 00:29:21 CET 2006

On Sun, Jan 01, 2006 at 11:08:42AM -0800, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> Hasn't someone ported R to the Sharp Zaurus,

Yes, Simon Pickering did this.  I ran his version of R on a Zaurus two
years ago.  His site implies that development is still underway.

http://people.bath.ac.uk/enpsgp/Zaurus/index.html

> I'm not sure how well a number crunching application like R would
> run on the Zaurus processor, though -- IIRC the floating point is
> emulated in software.

It was slow :).  Also I never got it to work with X, but in fairness I
didn't really try hard.  Simon's site implies that improvements are
being implemented.

Cheers

Andrew
--
Andrew Robinson
Senior Lecturer in Statistics                       Tel: +61-3-8344-9763