[Rd] Links to non-vignette documentation

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Fri Feb 24 02:51:33 CET 2006

On 2/23/2006 5:49 PM, hadley wickham wrote:
>> We were referring to an HTML index file.  If you want to have a
>> reference from your package man page (foo-package.Rd) or some other man
>> page, you can use \url{../doc/my.pdf} and the link will work in HTML
>> versions of help, and won't be too misleading in other versions
>> (especially if you explain how to use it).
>
> Ok, I'll give that a go.
>
>> I don't think you can do that, but you should be using a package man
>> page anyway.
>
> Can you suggest a good example of a package man page?  I've tried a
> few packages and haven't been able to find one.  The example generated
> by promptPackage suggests I need to duplicate the contents of
> DESCRIPTION and INDEX.

All of the base packages have them; some contain more than others.  I
don't know which ones I'd consider to be "good".

They are meant to replace the INDEX, which you shouldn't need to create
any more.  The DESCRIPTION file is still needed, but it contains more
structured information meant for mechanical reading and processing; the
package man page is meant to be the place to put things intended for
people to read.

Duncan Murdoch