[Rd] Links to non-vignette documentation

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Feb 23 23:16:51 CET 2006

On 2/23/2006 4:23 PM, hadley wickham wrote:
>> I think you need to define `vignette'.  I understand the usage to mean an
>> Sweave file.  There are ways to include other PDF files, and you can write
>> your own index file.  R can't do that for you as it cannot read PDF (it
>> can read Sweave).
>
> How can I write an index file with a pointer to my pdf?  Should I
> provide a code snippet to run system(paste(getOption("pdfviewer"),
> system.file("doc/my.pdf", package="mypackage"), "&"))?

We were referring to an HTML index file.  If you want to have a
reference from your package man page (foo-package.Rd) or some other man
page, you can use \url{../doc/my.pdf} and the link will work in HTML
versions of help, and won't be too misleading in other versions
(especially if you explain how to use it).

> Perhaps my problem is thinking of a vignette as a "A brief verbal
> description of a person, place, etc.; a short descriptive or evocative
> episode in a play, etc." rather than a Sweave document.
>
>> I am not aware of any other sort of `package help index', although one
>> could arge the toss about Compiled HTML.
>
> What about (eg.) help(package=grid)?  This is where vignettes are
> listed by name (and location).  I would like to be able put my pdf
> into a similar list.

I don't think you can do that, but you should be using a package man
page anyway.

Duncan Murdoch