[Rd] ATLAS threaded 64 bit Opteron build for R: need -fPIC

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Feb 10 12:14:17 CET 2006

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006, Amit Aronovitch wrote:

You set the reply address to Martin Maechler!  That's antisocial.

> Hi,
>
> Sorry for sending such a late reply, and for being abit OT.
>
>  I've been trying to compile 64 bit ATLAS for numpy
> (http://numeric.scipy.org/ ), and so far this thread is the most useful
> one I could google up - thanks!.
>  I encountered similiar problems, and so far could not get a .a linkable
> to numpy (comparing to your post - it seems I might have forgotten to
> add the -fPIC for the F77FLAGS or MMFLAGS).

Yes, that _is_ in the R-admin manual.  I guess you have not read that - it
describes how to install R.  You can get it in the R tarball from

ftp://ftp.stat.math.ethz.ch/Software/R/R-devel.tar.bz2

> Also, I'm having trouble with the ATLAS lapack. To get a usable lib, one
> has to merge it with a full lapack implementation (as described in the
> ATLAS errata). However, I'm using RHEL4, and their installed liblapack.a
> seems to have been compiled without -fPIC, so the merged library is
> unlinkable to numpy's .so. Is there a way to use Redhat's installed
> liblapack.so?

No, nor should you want to.  If RHEL4 is like FC3/4 watch out, as RH have
managed to get BLAS routines in liblapack and not liblas, and use
incorrect patches to LAPACK 3.0.  (Again, see the latest R-admin manual.)

> Few questions about your compiler flags:
>
> 1) Is there a reason to compile with -O rather than -O3?
> (did you try and encounter some problem, or found no major performance
> difference)

ATLAS chose that.  Since the real work is done by hand-tuned assembler
code it should not matter.

> 2) I see you use -mfpmath=387 - does this work better than sse2 (which
> seems to be
> the default)? How about the "sse,387" option - should I try that?

Depends on your ATLAS version.  Again, ATLAS chose those.

As it happens, I have been trying to build ATLAS on my new dual Opteron
box this morning.  The latest devel version (3.7.11) does not build, as at
some point it says it expects the GNU x86-32 assembler.  If it did it
would use SSE3 and so be faster.

Both 3.6.0 and 3.7.11 fail because my machine is too fast, and I had to
increase the number of replications (1000) in make/Make.{mv,r1}tune and in
tune/blas/level1/*.c.  Even then I do not entirely trust the results (and
the two versions report different L1 caches sizes ...).

I got pretty exasperated with this (it needed about ten builds to get one
that succeeded).  Both ACML and the Goto BLAS work well out of the box on
Opterons, but do have licence issues. (Again, see the R-admin manual for
details.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk