[Rd] Problems in d-p-q-r functions (was PR#8528, but unrelated)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 7 09:52:43 CET 2006

For the record, some of these claims are untrue:

> df(0, 2, 2)
[1] 1
> df(0, 1.3, 2)
[1] Inf
> x <- 1e-170
> pbeta(x, x, x)
[1] 0.5

qnbinom(1e-10,1e3,1e-7,TRUE,FALSE) is an error, and so is
qnbinom(1E-300,0.000002,10000000000)

Here we can guess at what you meant, maybe correctly.  There were comments
in the source code about needing a better search, and I have recently
implemented one.  So

> qnbinom(1e-10, 1e3, 1e-7) # instant
[1] 8117986721
> qnbinom(0.5, 10000000000, 0.000000002)
[1] 5e+18
> qnbinom(1e-300, 10000000000, 0.000002)
[1] 4.998138e+15

seem to be solved.

There were two problems with dbeta, one easily overcome (f underflows) the
other fundamental to the way dbinom_raw is computed (n*p can underflow).
What I cannot see is why a formula which worked correctly in this region
was replaced by one that did not.  It is precisely in order not to
generate such errors that I used TOMS 708 only in the area where the
existing algorithm is problematic.  (It may be better elswehere, but I did
not have the time to do the requisite analysis.  It seems neither do some
other people: I would prefer not to spend the time to clear up after such
unneeded changes.)

On pt, thank you for the report.  pt(x, df=1) is not interesting for
|x| > 1e150, but it is for smaller values of df and those were
underflowing.  It is easy to use an asymptotic formula to regain the
accuracy.

R was potentially generating reports of lack of convergence and loss of
accuracy in quite a number of its algorithms, but for reasons unknown to
me these were being buried (ML_ERROR did nothing, and has not for a very
long time). It's a matter of debate whether in some of these it would be
better to return NaN as well, but warnings should have been generated (and
now are).

As for `panic' (your word: why is it 'panic' to submit a correct bug
report?), a major platform returning +Inf for a log probability is very
bad news, as is another failing a regression test by getting NaN for a
probability which is 0.5.

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 IandJMSmith at aol.com wrote:

> [...]
> once the corections mentioned above are made it should be giving nonsense a=
> nswers=20
> with no difficulty.
>

> Unfortunately there are still a few examples of sloppy coding and accuracy=
> =20
> errors remaining in R.
>
> The non-central distribution functions have horrible 1- cancellation errors=
> =20
> associated with them (see PR#7099) and separate code is required for the tw=
> o=20
> tails of the distributions to get round the problem.
>
> The fix for PR#8251 is a kludge and just moves the inaccuracies to examples=
> =20
> with higher non-centrality parameters.
>
> pt(x,1) will overflow or return 0 for values < -2e154 for 64-bit=20
> implementations. pcauchy works but I believe the pt function is also suppos=
> ed to work for=20
> non integral degrees of freedom so making it work one degree of freedom via=
> =20
> pcauchy is hardly much use.
>
> qnbinom(1e-10,1e3,1e-7,TRUE,FALSE) is slow and by varying the
parameters,=
> =20
> qnbinom can be made very slow indeed. I do not think there is anything wron=
> g with=20
> the Cornish-Fisher expansion. It just seems that it is not always very good=
> =20
> for the Negative Binomial distribution. In the example above, the initial=
> =20
> approximation is out by 2e6.
>
> A slightly different problem which can cause qnbinom and qbinom to go into=
> =20
> infinite loops is when the q-value is too big. For example=20
> qnbinom(1E-300,0.000002,10000000000) should return 4.99813787561159E+15 app=
> rox but the code works=20
> with values where one of the statements y :=3D y +1 or y =3D y - 1; is exec=
> uted but=20
> does not alter the value of y.
>
> df(0,2,2,FALSE) should be 1 not 0
> df(0,df,2,FALSE) should be infinity for df < 2 not 0
> dbeta(1e-162,1e-162,1e-162,FALSE) should be 0.5 not 0
>
> Presumably R also has similar problems with the pbeta function. As I recall=
> =20
> the TOMS 708 code was pretty much included without edits and therefore didn=
> 't=20
> calculate logs of probabilities except by calculating the probability and t=
> hen=20
> logging it. I assumed this was why it was not used for small shape paramete=
> rs=20
> where the current code does not work, although it did not seem logical to m=
> e.=20
> Of course, my memory is not what it was but if that is the case and there a=
> re=20
> problems with modifying the TOMS code, you could try an
asymptotic expansio=