[Rd] match gets confused by S4 objects

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Feb 6 20:44:50 CET 2006

An S4 object is just a list with attributes, so a vector type.  match()
works with all vector types including lists, as you found out (or could
have read).

If in the future those proposing it do re-implement an S4 object as an new
SEXP then this will change, but for now the cost of detecting objects
which might have an S4 class defined somewhere is just too high (and would
fall on those who do not use S4 classes).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk