[Rd] Using the lazy data mechanism

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Sun Feb 5 00:28:42 CET 2006

Dear list members,

I'm trying to use the lazy data mechanism with the car package, so far
without success. The data sets are in the source package's data subdirectory
in the form of compressed .rda files, and I added the directive LazyData:
yes to the package's DESCRIPTION file.

I suspect that the problem is that the package has no namespace, but I've
been unable to find a reference in the Writing R Extensions manual (nor
elsewhere) that suggests that this is necessary. Is there a place that I've
missed that describes the lazy data mechanism?

My system info:

----- snip -----

Version:
 platform = i386-pc-mingw32
 arch = i386
 os = mingw32
 system = i386, mingw32
 status =
 major = 2
 minor = 2.1
 year = 2005
 month = 12
 day = 20
 svn rev = 36812
 language = R

Windows XP Professional (build 2600) Service Pack 2.0

Locale:
LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252;LC_CTYPE=English_United
States.1252;LC_MONETARY=English_United
States.1252;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

Search Path:
 .GlobalEnv, package:MASS, package:car, package:methods, package:stats,
package:graphics, package:grDevices, package:utils, package:datasets,
package:svIO, package:R2HTML, package:svMisc, package:svSocket,
package:svIDE, package:tcltk, Autoloads, package:base

----- snip -----

Thanks,
 John

John Fox