[Rd] [R] readline detection problems

Hin-Tak Leung hin-tak.leung at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Fri Feb 3 14:33:40 CET 2006

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Feb 2006, Benjamin Otto wrote:
>

>>Dear Mr. Ripley,
>>
>>thanks for the quick reply. I set these flags now, however there still seem
>>to be some problems with readline. The corresponding cofigure output is:
>>
>>checking readline/history.h usability... yes
>>checking readline/history.h presence... yes
>>checking for readline/history.h... yes
>>checking readline/readline.h usability... yes
>>checking readline/readline.h presence... yes
>>checking for readline/readline.h... yes
>>checking for rl_callback_read_char in -lreadline... no
>>checking for main in -lncurses... no
>>checking for main in -ltermcap... yes
>>checking for rl_callback_read_char in -lreadline... no
>>checking for history_truncate_file... no
>>configure: error: --with-readline=yes (default) and headers/libs are not
>>available
>

> What does config.log say?  It looks like it is not finding libreadline.so.
> You may need LD_LIBRARY_PATH set to include where it is.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH affects the dynamic link loader, which is probably not
the issue here. the barbaric manipulation of CFLAGS (=-I and -L)
is needed.

>>The existing compiler is gcc version 2.8.1 and the linker editor used by gcc
>

> Wow, that is really old!

2.8.1 would be pre-cygnus/egcs , 1997-1998 ... should breath down the
sys-admin's neck to get it upgraded - ncurse, termcap, tcltk, etc
would be rather old as well...