[Rd] SaveImage, LazyLoad, S4 and all that {was "install.R ... files"}

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Feb 3 10:41:25 CET 2006

    Seth> Thanks for the explaination of LazyLoad, that's very helpful.
    Seth> On  1 Feb 2006, ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk wrote:
    >> There is no intention to withdraw SaveImage: yes.  Rather, if
    >> lazy-loading is not doing a complete job, we could see if it could
    >> be improved.

    Seth> It seems to me that LazyLoad does something different with respect to
    Seth> packages listed in Depends and/or how it interacts with namespaces.

    Seth> I'm testing using the Bioconductor package graph and find that if I
    Seth> change SaveImage to LazyLoad I get the following:

Interesting.

I had also the vague feeling that  saveImage  was said to be
important when using  S4 classes and methods; particularly when
some methods are for generics from a different package/Namespace
and other methods for `base' classes (or other classes defined
elsewhere).
This is the case of 'Matrix', my primary experience here.
OTOH, we now only use 'LazyLoad: yes' , not (any more?)
'SaveImage: yes' -- and honestly I don't know / remember why.

Martin