[Rd] an unpleasant interaction of environments and generic functions

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Wed Feb 1 01:46:11 CET 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 15:21 -0800, Ross Boylan wrote:

> Any suggestions about how to avoid this problem?
> Maybe sys.source("file", 2)... Seems to work!
Not quite.  The original versions of some stuff from the library hung
around, and my efforts to delete them led to more difficulties.

Specifically, after loading the library I deleted the names of the
generics and classes from the library's frame.  Then I read the source
files into the frame.  This time it complained there was no function by
the appropriate name when I tried to do setMethod, even though the
previous file should have created it.