[Rd] proposal: allowing alternative variance estimators in glm/lm

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Dec 27 19:43:57 CET 2006

What concerns me about this is if people call the summary methods directly
on objects not of the right class.  That used to be quite prevalent in R
itself, but problems with residuals/weights mean it has now gone, I
believe.

summary.lm and summary.glm are exported from stats, and this indicates
that they were quite widely used (and a grep across CRAN suggests that
they still are).

One fairly backwards-compatible option would seem to be to call the vcov
generic only if the object inherits from [g]lm and had an earlier class.