[Rd] apropos changes in r-devel: intended feature or bug?

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Dec 22 09:14:18 CET 2006

    DeepS> The old apropos started with: if
    DeepS> (!is.character(what)) what <-
    DeepS> as.character(substitute(what))

    DeepS> The new one has:

    DeepS>    if (character.only) stopifnot(is.character(what))
    DeepS>    else what <- as.character(substitute(what))

    DeepS> i.e., the check for is.character(what) is
    DeepS> missing. This has the effect that 'what' can no
    DeepS> longer be a character string generated by a function
    DeepS> call unless 'character.only = TRUE'. I don't think
    DeepS> this was intended; the change makes previously valid
    DeepS> use invalid and I can't think of a situation where it
    DeepS> is useful.

[ Did you read the corresponding NEWS entry? ]

It now parallelizes the use in library() , require() etc,
and in particular does what the documentation says it does!

The old behavior was much less consistent and not according to

     apropos(lm)    was equivalent to apropos("lm")
but  apropos(fit)   gave an error.

    DeepS> -Deepayan