[Rd] R windows crash (PR#9426)

ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Dec 21 09:22:54 CET 2006

The problem is rather that 'aa' *is* found: default arguments are looked
for within the body of the function, and so the calculation of 'aa' is
recursive.  Consider the simpler case

> testfun <- function(aa=aa) {aa <- c(aa); aa}
> testfun()
Error in testfun() : recursive default argument reference

On Linux I got

> testfun() #R then exits.
Error: segfault from C stack overflow

Now C stack overflows are instantly fatal on Windows and cannot be caught
there.  However, using Linux enabled me to locate the loop in a debugger,
and it is recursion in isMissing to which I have added a stack check.

The remedy is I hope obvious: 'don't do that'.

Adding these checks do have a small but measurable performance cost so we
have been conservative in adding them.