[Rd] precision when calling a C function; presence of Fortran call

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Dec 19 20:21:25 CET 2006

On 12/19/2006 1:58 PM, Benjamin Tyner wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out why the presence of a Fortran call affects the
> result of a floating-point operation. I have C functions

On Windows, it's fairly common for runtime libraries to switch the
precision from 80 bit to 64 bit.  R on Windows tries to guard against
this, and on your test package, I get

when f computed by R, C says 40 by itself
when f computed by R, C says 40, Fortran says 40
when f computed by C, C says 40 by itself
when f computed by C, C says 40, Fortran says 40

It's possible that the floating point change is happening on your
platform, or happened before you even got to this call.

Here's code that works in Windows to detect such a change across a
LoadLibrary call:

     rcw = _controlfp(0,0) & ~_MCW_IC;  /* Infinity control is ignored */
     _clearfp();
     tdlh = LoadLibrary(path);
     dllcw = _controlfp(0,0) & ~_MCW_IC;

No idea if _controlfp() exists on your system.

Duncan Murdoch