[Rd] turning expression object to function

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 00:55:48 CET 2006

Here is one possibility.  It does not use the second argument in your function
call but instead assumes the arguments of the output function are
those variables
in the expression that have not been assigned in the list L in the
order encountered.

library(gsubfn)
asFun <- function(e, L = NULL, env = parent.frame()) {
  fo <- ~ x
  fun <- fn$force(as.formula(do.call(substitute, list(fo, L))))
  environment(fun) <- env
  fun
}

asFun(expression(a+b+c), list(b = 1, c = 2)) # function (a) a + 1 + 2