[Rd] Phonetic symbols (IPA) in R graphics

Giampiero Salvi giampi at kth.se
Thu Dec 14 22:07:24 CET 2006

Hi Paul,
first thank you for helping out.

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006, Paul Murrell wrote:

> Exactly.  The process would be simpler if you drew directly to
> PostScript or PDF via postscript() or pdf().
>
> Also, the text() call should be ...
>
> text(10,10,"whatever",family="ipa")

[...]

> I'm not sure how you got there.  You've specified the family wrong so I
> would expect more "family not found" warnings.  Let me know if this
> persists with the correct family specified.

Strangely enough I get the
"family 'ipa' not included in PostScript device"
if I run
text(10,10,"whatever",family="ipa")
while the "PostScriptCIDMetricInfo" error if I run
text(10,10,"whatever",family="InternationalPhoneticAlphabet"")

I get the same behaviour when I write directly to the postscript
device:

postscript(file="whatever.eps")
plot(10,10,type="n")
text(10,10,"whatever",family="InternationalPhoneticAlphabet")
or
text(10,10,"whatever",family="ipa")

I suspect the "PostScriptCIDMetricInfo" error depends on the fact the
the encodings/silipa.enc file contains all values from 33 to 255
(with a few undefines values). Can that be possible?

Thanks,
Giampiero