[Rd] A possible improvement to apropos

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Thu Dec 14 18:56:49 CET 2006

I would vastly prefer apropos to be case insensitive by default. The
point of it is to find things similar to a string, not the same as, and
given that capitalization in R is somewhat erratic (due to many authors,
and some of those changing their minds over the years), I find the
current apropos of little use.

I would also, personally prefer some sort of approximate matching since
there are different ways to spell some words, and some folks abbreviate
parts of words.

Robert Gentleman, PhD
Program in Computational Biology
Division of Public Health Sciences