[Rd] Phonetic symbols (IPA) in R graphics

Giampiero Salvi giampi at kth.se
Wed Dec 13 15:21:11 CET 2006

Hi all,
I would like to add phonetic symbols in my figures. Usually I typeset
my documents in LaTeX and I use the tipa [1] package to get
International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) fonts. So, my problem would be
solved if I could insert LaTeX commands in the text() function (I
guess at least).

I would like to avoid using psfrag (that is, inserting a string in
the eps figure and then substituting it with the right symbol with
dvips) because I would like to work with pdf pictures and pdflatex
as well as latex -> dvips -> ps2pdf.

If inserting special fonts is not possible at the moment, I would
appreciate some hints on how I could go about modifying text() to
include this feature. (This is why I post to r-devel instead of
r-help)

Thank you!
Giampiero

[1] http://www.essex.ac.uk/linguistics/clmt/latex4ling/tipa/