[Rd] Pre-compilation and server-side parallel execution

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Dec 8 23:28:07 CET 2006

On Dec 8, 2006, at 9:51 AM, Erik van Zijst wrote:

> 2. R's native C-api
> [http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-exts.html#The-R-API] does
> not separate parsing from evaluation.

Actually it does - see "R_ParseVector" and "eval". You're free to run
the parser once (or even construct the expression directly) and
evaluate it many times. (Also note that you can serialize the parsed
expression if desired).

If your worries are really at this level, then you will have to
create entirely your own solution, because the overhead of IPC will
be way more that the time spent in the parser. Actually I'm wondering
whether you checked it at all, because I'd almost certainly expect
the evaluation to take way more time than the parsing step. If it
does, I'd be inclined to think that you have rather a design problem.

Cheers,
Simon