[Rd] promptClass misses methods

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Fri Dec 1 07:29:06 CET 2006

I've had repeated problems with promptClass missing methods, usually
telling me a class has no methods when it does.

In my current case, I've defined an S4 class "mspathCoefficients" with
a print method
setMethod("print", signature(x="mspathCoefficients"), function(x, ...)
{ # etc

The file promptClass creates has no methods in it.
> showMethods(classes="mspathCoefficients")
Function: initialize (package methods)
.Object="mspathCoefficients"
    (inherited from: .Object="ANY")

Function: print (package base)
x="mspathCoefficients"

Function: show (package methods)
object="mspathCoefficients"
    (inherited from: object="ANY")

> getGeneric("print")
standardGeneric for "print" defined from package "base"

function (x, ...)
standardGeneric("print")
<environment: 0x84f2d88>
Methods may be defined for arguments: x

I've looked through the code for promptClass, but nothing popped out
at me.

It may be relevant that I'm running under ESS in emacs.  However, I
get the same results running R from the command line.

Can anyone tell me what's going on here?  This is with R 2.4, and I'm
not currently using any namespace for my definitions.

Thanks.
Ross Boylan