[Rd] stop R mainloop without calling exit(1)

Thomas Kelder thomaskelderml at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 17:33:26 CEST 2006

Dear Professor Ripley,

Thank you for your reply. I have a few questions left:

> > But that's not true.  The documented way is
> >
> > setup_Rmainloop
> > run a loop (which can return)
> > end_Rmainloop
> >
> > The problem was that the only documented way to shut R down cleanly was
> > end_Rmainloop (which did call exit), whereas there now is Rf_endEmbeddedR.

In the documentation  "run_Rmainloop" is called to start the loop:

         Rf_initEmbeddedR(argc, argv);
         /* submit some code to R, which is done interactively via
             run_Rmainloop();
         */
         Rf_endEmbeddedR(0);

But that method doesn't return normally, right? It only ends if
ReplIteration returns -1.
Or do you mean I need to re-implement the read-and-evaluate loop in a
way that I can interrupt it (at "run a loop (which can return)" in
your example)? So instead of calling run_Rmainloop, I can copy the
loop in R_ReplConsole, add an interrupted flag and check that every
iteration.

> > It seems that almost all users of embedded R did not call end_Rmainloop,
> > and I met this when creating a common embedding interface for Unix and
> > Windows versions of R: the Windows widgets (such as the graphics device)
> > do need to be told to shut down.

> Another idea on Unix-alikes is to replace R_CleanUp by your own callback:
> it is part of the documented interface for writing a front-end.

So for the Unix alikes I could use a customized R_CleanUp for the
non-devel versions of R. For windows I should still call
end_Rmainloop, but if I understand you well, this is only needed if I
use the windows widgets in R. I don't want to, so it shouldn't be a
problem then?

Thank you for your help, I'm going to try to modify the JRI interface
by writing a custom loop instead of calling run_Rmainloop.

By the way, I use R version 2.2.1 in linux, because I got the "Error:
C stack usage is too close to the limit R" error in higher versions (I
saw there was a topic about this already:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2006-April/037219.html). I
tried to use the R-devel version to make use of the Rf_endEmbeddedR
method, but the error also occurs in this version. Could this be a
bug?

Thomas