[Rd] S4 Methods dispatch

John Chambers jmc at r-project.org
Wed Aug 30 19:35:59 CEST 2006

Henrik Bengtsson wrote:
> [Cross-posting to BioC-devel to]
>
> Thank you for this.
>
>> The changes are internal but extensive.  All packages that use S4
>> methods and classes need to be reinstalled from source to use the new
>> version.
>
> Is there an easy way to detect if a package is using S4 or not?

If you have your package source in various directories under a single
directory (which is how I usually work), then, from the directory above
the package directories, the comand:
     grep "Depends:.*methods" */DESCRIPTION
will pick up the packages that declare a dependency on methods.  There
may be cleaner techniques.
> If
> so, I could scan my already installed libraries and call
> install.packages() on its S4 subset of packages.  The alternative is
> to do install.packages() an all libraries (sic!).  Bioconductor: maybe
> biocLite() could have such an update mechanism built in internally?
>
> If I miss to reinstall one S4 package, what should I expect?

The typical symptom is a clutch of warning messages when you attach the
package.  The warnings try to mention that the package may need
reinstallling, though sometimes the package name is misleading.

> I assume
> there will be an error, but I just want to confirm that there is no
> risk of getting weird "results" but still a running program?
>
> Reinstallation is also required for all package that comes as Windows
> binaries, correct?
Anything that uses S4 methods will have out-of-date objects for class
and method definitions.

John