[Rd] saving history through menu in R 2.4.0dev (PR#9168)

ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Aug 22 12:53:46 CEST 2006

Usual moan: you have submitted TWO bug reports (9168 and 9169) on an
unreleased version of R (and not a current build). Just a report to
R-windows would have been appropriate since this is about the Windows GUI.

The crucial piece of information is that (at least on my box), the error
message says that '180806.*' cannot be opened.  The Windows dialog box has
decided to add '.*' to your file name (since it has no extension).  Maybe
we are using this wrong, but I can't see that in the MSDN documentation.

This is a side-effect of (see CHANGES):

  The menu items for source and load/save images and drag-and-drop can
  now be used for paths on network shares (starting with \\).

since the misnamed 'fixslash' used to remove the trailing '.*', without
documenting why, and it can no longer be used if we allow network shares.

Fixed for r38953, or try using an extension on your file names as Windows
seems to expect them.